Monday 4 February 2013

Getting that classroom organised

In Australia, it's the start of the school year and for many teachers Down Under, that means getting to know new student cohorts and a burst of enthusiasm to create an effective learning environment. Experience has taught me that a well-organised classroom can give students a place where they not only feel comfortable learning but it actually becomes a place where students want to be.

I remember my principal in the UK telling me to get my classroom organised and while I knew it was important, I didn't realise how important. It wasn't until last year that I ventured into another teacher's classroom that was so drab it made khaki colouring look positively pink. This made me realise how a boring, disorganised or irrelevant classroom display could make students feel and, accordingly, act, when it came to learning.

The school I am currently at has undergone transformation in several classrooms in preparation for younger students joining high school over the next few years. I am lucky enough to teach in two of these classrooms and have blank canvasses to work with.

One of the most useful websites I have found to assist in this is Learning Unlimited and their 12 days, 12 tools archive in particular.

It's a useful source of information with tips and infographics on creating wordwalls, how to use Pintrest in education, a classroom library checklist and "how to" guide on building said library when financial resources are tight.

It's worth a read and it's worth enacting the tips.

Enjoy and feel free to add your thoughts below or catch me on Twitter @KerrynManifold

No comments:

Post a Comment